Experience holidays are a wonderful way to explore the farthest reaches of the globe. They provide unique opportunity to discover terrains, wildlife, and climates that we only see in films. For many of us, these holidays are a once-in-a-lifetime trip. To capitalize on this experience, follow our advice on how to prepare.
Experience holidays require a little more thought than your everyday beach holidays. There are many things to consider once you have chosen your destination.
1. Before booking, do your research and read books, travel blogs, and online reviews. This will give you an idea of what to expect. It will also provide you with access to other people's experiences. If you’re looking for a bespoke holiday, visit wildlifewilderness.com.
2. Check with your holiday provider about what to expect and what you should take. They will be best placed to provide you with a packing checklist.
3. Make a list of everything you need to prepare and take with you. Keep it handy, so you can add to it as things occur to you.
4. Dust off your luggage and leave it somewhere amenable. As you pack items cross them off your checklist.
5. Check to see whether you require vaccinations and plan them in ahead of time.
6. Remember to include charging cables for your phone, e-book, camera, etc. Depending on your destination these items may not be available. Imagine not being able to take photos of your trip of a lifetime?
7. Pack any prescription medications and a small first aid kit. This might include plasters, bandages, antiseptic, and insect repellent, etc. Check with your holiday booker whether you need additional items.
8. Include sun protection such as sunglasses and sunblock. The sun doesn’t have to be strong for it to burn and damage your skin.
9. Read our tips on how to travel better.
Wherever you’re going, you will need suitable clothing. Perhaps the most important items to consider are shoes. Pack sturdy and comfortable shoes that are suitable for the climate and terrain. Wear them in before you go. You don’t want to have to deal with blisters on your safari or arctic tour.
Research carefully in advance to ensure you are adequately equipped. A few things to consider:
- Check to see whether extreme clothing can be hired at your destination.
- If you’re visiting a hot country, then take items that are cool but will protect you from the sun.
- Take a few hats. Hats will protect your head from the extreme heat of the sun, or the extreme cold.
- Pack a few items of spare clothing. Wherever you’re going, they are likely to come in handy. In hot climates, you will sweat. If it’s cold, you may get wet.
- Pack some travel wash to save space in your suitcase.
- Take clothing for relaxing. You won’t spend your entire holiday on safari, trekking or dog sledding. Take evening clothes too.
- If you’re visiting a cold climate, then pack some extra layers. Layering will keep you warm.
Experience holidays offer exhilaration and excitement. They are a chance to explore and discover new lands and people. Make the most of this adventure by planning ahead and packing carefully.