When you are planning to make the big move to Australia or New Zealand, one of the biggest challenges will be keeping all of the details organised. There are a lot of aspects to moving that you will need to balance and juggling them all at once can be overwhelming. It helps to approach the move with a strategic plan and to stay organised while you are moving to New Zealand. Here are some tips that you can keep in mind to help you move:
- Get rid of anything you can. It doesn’t make sense to spend time, energy and money trying to move something that you don’t really need. Go through all of your possessions and determine what you want to throw away and what to keep.
- Get rid of anything that is broken or that you don’t use. If you haven’t needed it in years, you probably won’t need it anytime soon. Give items in good condition to charity, sell them online or give them to friends. If they are unusable, throw them away.
- Start with good quality boxes, they are worth it. They should be clean, in good condition and they should have lids that can be closed and sealed with packing tape. You can collect them from local merchants or purchase them from a moving company.
- Create a system of priority when you are packing items for your home. Priority A items will be the essentials that need to be unpacked right away when you arrive in your new home. If the items are important, but you will not need them right away, they can be market Priority B. Items that you will not use for a long time, such as Christmas decorations if you are moving in July, can be Priority C and can be placed directly into the closet or basement without being unpacked.
- Make sure that all of the boxes are clearly marked with labels describing their contents. Felt pens are ideal for this purpose.
- When you are packing, try to pack the boxes according to which room they belong to. For example, if you have a box that is marked “Kitchen” you can take it directly to the kitchen of your new home and unpack it there.
- Start packing early. If you leave it all to the last minute you will find yourself rushed and stressed out. Instead, start packing a box every day a couple of months before you move, so that by the time the big move comes around you are almost fully packed.
- Set aside time in your schedule to pack. If you don’t set aside time for something and stick to it, other things will get in the way and you will continue to procrastinate. When can you spare a little bit of time, even if it is just 30 minutes per day, to organise items and pack boxes?
- Create a list of things to do. This will help you to get a grip on what needs to be accomplished and avoid forgetting something important.
- If something needs to be accomplished by a particular date, make a note of this on the to-do list and rank it as a high priority.
- Delegate tasks to other members of the family. Don’t try to do it all on your own, let others lend their skills and get involved - even the kids.
- Set up a packing station. This is a spot in the house where all of the packing supplies are set up, such as the boxes, tape, felt pens, address labels and newspapers. This makes it a lot easier, since you will not have to look all over the house to find the tape whenever you want to pack a box.
- It is also a good idea to keep all information about the move in one place, such as the address of your new home, the contact details of your moving company, the application forms for your Australian visas. Create a folder on your computer and make sure that you save a backup of all files.
These are just a few tips you can keep in mind when it comes to staying organised as you plan a move to Australia or New Zealand. There are a lot of things to keep track of, but if you get started early and stay organised the move will be a breeze!